- Departments & Offices
- Public Health
- Environmental Health
- Onsite Sewage (Septic) Systems
- Homeowner Septic Training (HOST) - Evaluation Classes
Homeowner Septic Training (HOST) - Evaluation Classes
Whether you are the first-time owner of a home served by onsite septic or would like to become certified to perform inspections for the system serving your primary residence, the Island County HOST program is your one-stop resource for the care, inspection, and maintenance of your onsite septic system.
HOST 101- Informational Only
The HOST Guide is a concise reference for conventional gravity and conventional pressure distribution onsite septic systems. The guide provides homeowners with an understanding of their onsite septic systems and best practices for operation and maintenance. The Washington State Department of Health has provided an INTRODUCTORY VIDEO outlining the basics of onsite septic systems for the homeowner.
- Step 1 - Read the HOST Guide and complete the Inspection Guide
- Step 2 - Watch the HOST Video
HOST 201- Certification Class
In Island County, homeowners may complete a self-study course in homeowner septic system evaluation and pass a knowledge assessment to become certified to inspect their OSS. Septic system inspections are required every 1-3 years, depending upon the system type. Certification is limited to primary resident owners of gravity and conventional pressure systems and excludes alternative systems and properties adjacent to shorelines and sensitive areas.
Homeowners may become certified to inspect their own septic system if they:
- Have a Conventional Gravity system and inspect it every three years OR a Conventional Pressure system and inspect it annually.
- Do not live within the Penn Cove, Maxwelton, or South Holmes Harbor designated sensitive areas. To find your parcel's history, location, and system type, click HERE. To review your property inspection history, click HERE.
- Complete a self-study program with the referenced resources
- Attend an in-person exam and pass with a 70% or higher score.
- Step 1: Read the HOST Guideand complete the Inspection Guide (sections of the HOST Guide will be included in the exam).
- Step 2: Watch the WA-DOH HOST 201 VIDEO (sections of the HOST Video will be included in the exam).
- Step 3: Review the Question Bank (exam questions will be selected from this question bank)
- Step 4: Download and complete the Registration Form
- Step 5:Submit payment ($52) and completed registration form by mail or at the Public Health Counter in Coupeville prior to the exam.
Exam space is limited to 25 individuals and is first-come, first,served.
Location (Unless otherwise noted): County Commissioners Hearing Room, (Room 102B, Island County Annex Building., 1 NE 6th Street, Coupeville, WA. Download Island County Coupeville Campus Map & Contact Guide
Parcel and as-built records are available on the Public Portal
Refunds will not be issued for missed exams.
If you are registered and would like to reschedule your exam, please contact 360-678-7917 to make arrangements.
- Homeowner Septic Evaluation Form