Effective March 2022: Flood Development Pre-Application Conferences will be held in person 10 am and 11 am Tuesdays on Whidbey Island and Fridays on Camano Island. Virtual conferences are available on either day. All time slots are first-come, first-served.
Island County is Out of Detached Accessory Certificates for the 2023 year - These are Permits for a Second Residence on a Property
To be placed on a waitlist, email Jennifer Bartholomew (firstname.lastname@example.org) with your name, parcel number and phone number. You will need all application materials ready to submit to be eligible to be placed on this list.
Building Inspection Requests
- All Building Inspection requests must be made through the Island County Public Portal
- All Building Inspection Results are available through your Public Portal account.
- If you are experiencing issues with your Public Portal account, please contact us at 360-679-7339.
- The preference for Building Inspection Requests is the Public Portal. If you are having issues and cannot reach us for assistance, you may send your inspection request by email to BuildingDept@islandcountywa.gov
Reminder: New and replacement roofing projects require a building permit
Accessory Structure Building Permits
New Single Family Residence (SFR), new Accessory Structure Building Permits and solar racking are now being accepted in person and via our online Public Portal.
- Completed Washington State Energy Code Worksheet.
- One set/copy of Building Plans (to scale). @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
- One set/copy of Engineering and/or Structural Plans if applicable.
- Plot Plan, no larger than 11-by-17 inches and to a standard engineering scale @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
- Completed Building Permit Application (In ink w/size 8 font min.) @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
- Address Application
- Approved Septic Permit/As Built or Applicable Sewer District Connection Cert. @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
- Approved Water Availability Verification (WAV) Form
- Copy of the Approved Access Permit @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
New Construction (Garage/Shop etc.) on a Vacant Parcel
Note: Garage/Shop on parcels under 2.5 acres without a residence are restricted to 800 square feet.
- Approved Access Permit
- If proposing heat: Washington State Energy Code Worksheet @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
- If proposing plumbing: Approved Septic Permit or applicable Sewer District Certificate
- If proposing plumbing: Copy of the approved Water Availability Verification (WAV) @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
Building Permit Submittal Forms & Helpful Links
|Type||Description||Link or Form|
|Address||As pending or issued by the Island County Planning Department||Site Address Application (PDF)|
|Approved Access Permit||As issued by the Island County Public Works Department||Access Permit Application (PDF)|
|Approved "WAV" (Water Availability Verification) Form|
(Approved within the Year)
|As issued by the Island County Health Department||Water Availability Verification (Public WS) (PDF)|
Water Availability Verification (Individual Well) (PDF)
|As-Built / Approved Septic Permit or Applicable Sewer District||As issued by the Island County Health Department or applicable Sewer District||Application to Construct a Septic System|
Holmes Harbor Sewer District
Penn Cove Sewer District
|Submitted Land Use Permit|
(Pending Approval or Approved)
|As issued by the Island County Planning Department|
(i.e.; Variances, Clearing and Grading Permits, RUDs, EBEY Design Guidelines / Certificate of Appropriateness, within a Cultural Resources area)
|Flood Development Permit Approval|
(if within floodplain)
|As issued by the Island County Planning and Community Development Department|
As of June 2021, a Pre-Application Conference is required prior to submitting a Flood Development Permit; Please call 360-679-7339 to schedule a Flood Development Permit Pre-Application meeting.
|FEMA Flood Information|
Island County Flood Damage Prevention Ordinance
Flood Development Permit Application (PDF)
FEMA Elevation Certificate (PDF)
(if within 200 feet of Ordinary High Water Mark)
|As issued by the Island County Planning Department|
Please note: As of December 2020 if the parcel is also within the Flood Zone, a Habitat Assessment requirements for FEMA will be reviewed by the Floodplain Administrator.
|Shoreline Environment Designations|
|Plot/Site Plan (Aerial View)||11 inches by 17 inches preferred or legible on smaller paper. Drawn to scale, not to exceed Engineer scale 1 inch = 60 feet, and indicate water / septic lines, tanks, drain field and reserve and any building currently on the parcel and proposed buildings.||Plot Plan Example (PDF)|
|Contractor Verification||If a Licensed WA State Contractor is not provided, the Owner must sign an Owner Contractor Form.|
What is a registered contractor?
Visit WA State Department of Labor and Industries.
|Statement of Contractor Verification Form (PDF)|
|Building Permit Fees ||Estimate the cost of building permit fees.|
Please Note: The fee schedule amounts are estimates only and are not to be used as the amount that will be due at the time of building permit submittal.
|Building Permit Fee Schedule (PDF)|
Building Permit Valuation Schedule (PDF)
Plumbing and Mechanical Permit Fee Schedule (PDF)
|Building Stock Plans Policy||Directions to create stock plans. Stock plans are usable for the Building Code cycle they are reviewed with. At the start of a new Building Code cycle, a new stock plan process is required.||Building Stock Plans (PDF)|
- What are the hours for submitting a building permit application?
Building Permit Applications are accepted until 2 p.m.
- How do I apply for an address?
You can apply via U.S. Mail or in person at the Planning Department front counter in the Coupeville office or at the Camano Annex.
Along with the Completed Application, the following shall be provided:
- Approved Access Permit: Issued by Public Works (360-679-7331) approving the driveway onto a County road, OR Department of Transportation (360-757-5964 or 360-848-7230). When it is the first access onto the highway
- Map: An Aerial photo, or plot plan showing the accurate lot configuration. On this map indicate the Approved Access Point/Driveway and any applicable easements
- Fee: $51.50 (made payable to: Island County Planning)
- Building and/or Septic Permit numbers
- Can I submit for a Land Use and Building Permit concurrently?
Yes. If you have a Land Use submittal appointment, upon arrival let the front receptionist know that you also have a Building Permit submittal. The Land-Use Application must be accepted in order to also intake the Building Permit application and plans. Because of the limited quantity of guest cottages, they are excluded from concurrent review.
- Do I need a licensed contractor or am I able to do the work myself?
A Washington state licensed contractor is required. And yes, you are able to do the work yourself. However, an Owner/Contractor Form must be signed by the owner and submitted with the Building Permit Application.