- Departments & Offices
- Human Services
- Veterans Assistance
Emergency assistance is offered in compliance with state law to income-eligible veterans with an honorable discharge, their spouse or domestic partner, surviving spouses and the dependent children of living or deceased veterans. Provides Island County veterans and their families who are in need with food, rent, utilities, medical, and burial assistance and will submit claims to VA on behalf of Island County veterans.
Veteran Services Officer (VSO)
The Island County VSO program is partnered with the Washington Department of Veterans Affairs (WDVA). This VSO provides resources to the residents of Island County, including advising military service veterans, veterans' survivors, and their dependents, of their rights and entitlements in obtaining benefits available to them from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. These benefits include disability compensation, veterans document support, elderly and disability programs, emergency assistance and other VSO resources. Additionally, the VSO will assist individuals in completing and filing benefit claims and are available to represent individuals in VA hearings.
Emergency assistance is offered in compliance with state law to income-eligible veterans with an honorable discharge, their spouse or domestic partner, surviving spouses and the dependent children of living or deceased veterans. Emergency relief available in Island County includes food, rent, utilities, medical and burial assistance to qualified income-eligible veterans and their family members. We also provide assistance with Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) claims for compensation, pension, health care and all other VA claims.
To qualify for financial assistance, you must meet the following requirements:
- Have served under Honorable or General under Honorable Conditions.
- Show an original or certified copy of a DD-214 or, if discharged prior to 1950, a Certificate of Discharge.
- Have been a continual resident of Washington State for one year immediately prior to application and a resident of Island County at time of application.
- Be able to provide proof of their identity and documentation of eligibility of dependents
- Be indigent or have income at 150% of poverty level.
Island County Veterans Assistance Claim (PDF)
R.C.W. 73.08 Requirements:
Under the Revised Code of Washington 73.08, local veterans, their spouse or domestic partner, surviving spouse, surviving domestic partner, and dependent children of a living or deceased veteran are eligible for emergency assistance and/or relief. Island County has established the Veterans' Assistance Fund (VAF) to comply with this statute and community need. The fund is provided for by Island County property owner taxes.
Using RCW 73.08 as a guideline, Island County Commissioners, Island County Veterans Service Coordinator (VSC) and the Veterans Advisory Board (VAB) have established the following as Criteria for administering the VAF:
- Veteran must have served under Honorable conditions in accordance with RCW 41.04.005. National Guard, State Guard, or Inactive Reserves must have served under Honorable conditions and have been deployed to serve in an armed conflict. National Guard, State Guard, or Inactive Reserve whose active duty was for training purposes only is not eligible.
- Veteran must show an original or certified copy of a DD-214 or, if discharged prior to 1950, a Certificate of Discharge.
- Veteran must have been a continual resident of the State of Washington for a period of one year immediately prior to application and a resident of Island County at the time of application.
- Veteran must be able to provide proof of their identity and documentation of eligibility of dependents.
- Veteran must be income eligible (a person in need or poverty as defined in these procedures).
Island County Veterans Services Facebook Page
Human Services Facebook page for Island County Veterans Services
Whidbey Veterans Resource Center
Whidbey Veterans Resource Center website connects, educates and serves veterans their families
There are no published events in current month.